Friday, October 13, 2006

Ultra Facile Cream

So I got this flyer in the post today from Kiehl's, launching their new ULTRA FACIAL CREAM.

What they say:

"Inspired by our original, beloved Ultra Facial Moisturizer, this 24-hour, light-textured daily hydrator leaves skin comfortable and visibly well-balanced, particularly in harsh weather conditions. Our formula is made is Antarcticine–a Glycoprotein extracted from microorganisms sourced from sea glaciers and notable for an ability to protect skin from cold temperatures–as well as Imperata Cylindrica, a plant indigenous to the Australian desert which possesses superb water retention properties in dry conditions. Our unique combination of ingredients helps reduce moisture loss while drawing and absorbing moisture from the air. With continuous water replenishment throughout the day, skin is smooth, healthy-looking, and "moisture-even.""

It came with a nice map of Greenland and a statement that Kiehl's were supporting efforts to stem the effect of global warming on Greenland.

Now let's look at this in more detail.

A glycoprotein extracted from...sea glaciers. Now pardon me, but aren't glaciers made from erm water? And pretty much nowt else. I know, I've been to the Arctic, I've drunk glacial meltwater, it's about as pure as pure can be.

So I googled Antarticine and found that [apparently] it is derived from a new bacterial strain, Pseudoalteromonas antarctica NF, isolated from a sample collected at the bottom of a glacier in the region of Inlet Admiralty Bay (King George Island, South Shetland Island, Antarctica). So it was some gunk at the bottom of the glacier?

And isn't the problem with global warming like that the glaciers are melting? So is it really such a good idea to be using glaciers for cosmetic products, I ask you? Maybe having discovered the bacteria they now grow it in the lab, although does it then count as "sourced" from sea glaciers?

Next I googled Imperata cylindrica. Also known as cogongrass. In the US it is classified as a "noxious weed". Nice. And it possesses "superb water retention properties". I don't know, but lady friends of mine are always complaining about too much water retention.

Kiehl's tell me that their product is an "extraordinary moisturizer...particularly effective in very cold and dry conditions." Well I'm off for dinner in my neighbour's succah, which should provide the requisite cold and dryness, so I'll be testing the sample they gave me and letting you know.

No comments: