Wednesday, March 07, 2007

TWTJBWTW

So that was the Jewish Book Week that was.

Here’s a list of things I never thought I would hear spoken there.

“My brother was the first soldier to be thrown out of the IDF for practising paganism.”

“I’m a great fan of perversions – I’ve tried to engage in as many of them as I can.”

“Have you read the New Testament? It’s a beautiful thing. It’s all there in Isaiah you know. Would you like a leaflet?”

“I gather Kristeva and Butler are out, Lacan is in.”

Highlights for me were Etgar Keret for his warmth and ability to reduce great stories to a very macro human level, and Joann Sfar for his energy and enthusiasm.

I also enjoyed Edgardo Cozarinsky and Gabriel Josipovici who both spoke very interestingly about their creative struggles and techniques.

Duds of the week were Jonny Geller / “Sol Bernstein” for the least funny discussion of Jewish comedy since the children of Israel started worshipping the Golden Calf, and Judith Butler for managing to speak for half an hour deconstructing the idea that Israel was acting in self-defence during the Lebanon war last year, whilst not once mentioning Hizbollah.

No comments: