Monday, May 11, 2009

Things to do in Chichester when your…

girlfriend is doing a 25 mile walk

Joy oh joy. Less than a week after my trip to the YSP I found myself in another superb sculpture park, this time the Cass Sculpture Foundation at Goodwood. This park is strictly contemporary, many pieces specially commissioned, so pieces do come and go.

The stand out work for me was Lynn Chadwick’s enchanting ‘ace of diamonds’, consisting of a diamond shape and a square with a triangle cut out, made of heavy stainless steel, which revolved in the breeze. One of the great joys of sculpture is a sense of the work unfolding before you eyes, as you wander around it, different angles revealing different aspects, and different applications of concentration giving rise to new insights. This piece inverses the process; it moves, and a seemingly never ending succession of new shapes emerge.





I also loved Rob Ward’s enchanting glass ‘gate’ a piece that is there and not there.




Another favourite was Manfred Kielhofer’s ‘timeguards’, a scary piece, part religious icon, part Doctor Who, and strangely reminiscent of a carved candle I picked up in on a road trip many years ago now, from a weird Celtic folklore / new age museum somewhere between Inverness and Edinburgh.


The other piece that got me was Jonathan Loxley’s ‘portal’, a piece very much of two halves, one side whirling and scratchy, the other smooth and sensuous.




Against better inclinations, I was fascinated by Thomas Heatherwick’s ‘pavilion’. I’m a bit dubious when sculpture strays into architecture, but walking around the piece with its ever changing angles and reflections, I was convinced.


I also liked Keir Smith’s ‘stefano’, Wendy Taylor’s giant 'sycamore’, Helaine Blumenfeld's vaginalatrous 'spirit of life', and the wonderful Peter Doig like presence of David Worthington’s ‘yo reina’, a tiny white alien ship landed in the forest.

1 comment:

kielnhofer said...

Thank you to see my timeguards.
Manfred "Kielnhofer"