Monday, January 28, 2008

EAR


One of the nice things about LIMF is that none of the performances outstayed their welcome; most were about the hour mark. Coming out of the QEH on Saturday, I saw there was some free music event going at in the RFH so, enhanced with January positivity from my reading of the Power of Now, I thought, I’m here, let’s check it out.

Well I was amazed. First of all, I had no idea there was a whole ‘nother level (in a downwards direction) to the RFH. The Spirit Level, in the basement, featured
a blue room, a gamelan room and lots of hip young things lounging about on very uncomfortable looking white blow up cushions. Plus a load of stragglers coming in from LIMF.

EAR stands for the “emerging artists in residence” at the Southbank. They have a microsite at www.southbankcentre.co.uk/ear.

First up I saw Japanese sound artist Mieko Shimuzu. To be honest, her first number was pants. I thought about toddling off. Luckily I didn’t cos the rest of her set was fantastic – kind of electronica influenced soul-pop in a Matthew Herbert / Jamie Liddell vein. Her recorded stuff on her myspace sounds really top notch: http://www.myspace.com/micouk.


Mico in the gamelan room


All this was as nothing to the jaw dropping set from cellist / composer / singer Ayanna Witter-Johnson. As soon as she started to sing, I saw the heavens open. It was one of those moments when the noisy room of over-excited kids all shut up at once. It was one of those rare and delicious moments when you see someone and know instantly that they are going to be a star. I thought she came across as the secret love child of Stevie Wonder and India Arie (yes that good!!) and, found myself telling her so later when I bumped into her in the main hall (the Power of Now has a lot to answer for). What I should have added though is that yes she sounded like that and also managed to fit in a dollop of contemporary classical into the equation, but also that she sounded completely unique, with her own distinctive sound and vibe. I’m not one prone to messianic fervour, but I think she could the one, the saviour of all that is good in music. http://www.myspace.com/ayannawitterjohnson

AWJ (centre) and friends in the blue room

Still reeling from AWJ, I caught the end of a performance by Natascha Eleonore which sounded great – great tunes, brilliant production and meaty samples/backing noises. And I read she is working with high end producers and various Afro-Cuban legends, and you know what, she sounds fresh and funky and I guess will be hugely popular. If they still have charts, she will be in them. http://www.myspace.com/organicurban

Back in the ballroom, I caught a set by Nila Raja. Hard to judge her on this; there were too many people talking / moving about and it was too big a space. It sounded good but you know, everything is relative, and maybe I was losing focus and presence in the now, so I came home for a nice cup of tea. http://www.myspace.com/nilaraja

The next EAR is in April.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment is available from all good bookshops, new age outlets, and Amazon right now. It should come with a health warning.

No comments: